my first real drive (not without its problems)

my first real drive (not without its problems)

This evening was my first opportunity to get the D out and drive it
around.

Never having driven a DeLorean before this one, I have no frame of
reference. Still, it's probably not normal for the car to feel like
it's going to shake apart if you go over 40. My girlfriend compared
the overall feeling to being in one of those vibrating massage
chairs, although they can't hold a candle to my DeLorean. The
vibration was *very* strong (my headlight beams were wiggling like
crazy), its frequency increased with our speed, and it sounded
remarkably like a helicopter.

Aside from this, the car made it about 10 miles from home without
major incident. It was after I turned around and started heading
back home that the engine decided to die four times:

1) Drove 40MPH for several hundred feet, came to complete stop at
stop sign, turned left and started to accelerate, car began to
sputter and buck. Letting up on the accelerator or pressing it
further didn't seem to have an effect, eventually engine died. Car
started up again and ran fine.

2) Slowed from 40MPH to 25MPH or so to take a left-hand curve, upon
leaving curve car did same thing as before (sputter, buck, die).
Again, started up like normal and ran fine.

3) Slowed from 40MPH while approaching stop sign. By the time the
car had come to a complete stop, the engine was dead. No sputtering
this time...just a quick, silent death. Started up again and ran
fine.

4) Slowed from 25MPH and turned left onto the road I live on.
Accelerating out of the turn caused the same old sputtering and
bucking, and the engine died. Had just enough momentum built up to
coast into my driveway.

Some more info, in case it helps:
* car is an 81, automatic, few (if any) updates, 5K miles
* Never has a problem starting (even after stalling).
* No noticeable emissions from the tailpipes, although it does smell
strongly of fuel.
* No problems at idle, and "hunts" normally when cold.
* Something's buzzing like a mad hornet (I'm presuming it's the
frequency valve).
* All gauges work to the best of my knowledge, and none read anything
unusual at any point tonight.

The last time I felt a car turn into a bucking bronco on me, it was a
problem with the auto tranny not downshifting properly on
deceleration. The conditions are different with the D, but the end
result sure feels the same. I initially though I might have gunk in
the fuel line and it's starving the engine...but wouldn't that cause
it to simply stall and die instead of jerking around?

Any help you can give this newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Todd Masinelli
VIN 6681