Re: my first real drive (not without its problems)

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, webmaster@xxxx wrote:
> This evening was my first opportunity to get the D out and drive it
> around.
>
> Never having driven a DeLorean before this one, I have no frame of
> reference. Still, it's probably not normal for the car to feel like
> it's going to shake apart if you go over 40.
<SNIP>

No, it's not normal for any car to shake that bad. Aside from having
your tires and wheels inspected/balanced, I would check the condition
of your chassis mounts. A total of 12 bolts can be found in the car: 2
are located in the trunk above the shock towers; 6 are in the
passenger compartment. 2 of these are the bolts that are attached to
the seat belts. the other 4 are at the same level in the center
console behind the seats, and at the 'mouth' of the footwells (you'll
need to lift the carpet to access). Final 4 are located in the engine
bay. 2 are used to also secure the crossbrace. The remaining 2 are at
the rear of the engine compartment.(note: the drivers side bolt is
accessable via removal of the evap canister. the passenger side can
only be accessed if the facia is removed).

> 1) Drove 40MPH for several hundred feet, came to complete stop at
> stop sign, turned left and started to accelerate, car began to
> sputter and buck. Letting up on the accelerator or pressing it
> further didn't seem to have an effect, eventually engine died. Car
> started up again and ran fine.
<SNIP>

In almost all four cases that your engine died, your car was turning
left. You may ha ve a disconnected/rotten pickup hose in your fuel
tank connected to the baffle. Centrifical force sloshes the gas away
from the intake, and thus starves the engine. How much gas did you
have in the tank at the time?

Check all of these items first, and take everything from there.

-Robert