Re: Fuel injector cleaners in gas tank ----Noooooo don't do it!

A local owner's car wasn't running good so he also tried fuel injector
cleaner. The car is now at P.J. Grady's because it won't run. I agree
that unless the car has been used regularly or at least had cleaner
used previuosly you should avoid it as a quick fix. Modern fuel will
slowly remove the deposits if the car is used regularly. As for the
fuel injectors plugging up they were probably already in need of
cleaning or replacement which is why there is the temptation to "fix"
a rough running motor with "Magic in a Bottle". On the cars I have
worked on even though the injectors sprayed like cr-p, after I cleaned
them they worked fine. IMHO you shouldn't have to replace the fuel
injectors, just clean them and replace the rubber seals which become
hard and shrink causing air leaks. Replace any missing or broken
retaining clips and use new copper gaskets. It isn't just the spring
that causes the problem, I think most of the trouble is caused by the
dirt and deposits that build up on the seat inside preventing the
injector from spraying right and closing completely. While you have
the injectors out always check the #'s on them, someone may have
replaced 1 or more with the wrong one! They may look alike on the
outside but can work very differently!
David Teitelbaum