Re: Fuel injector cleaners in gas tank ----Noooooo don't do it!

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxx> wrote:
> A local owner's car wasn't running good so he also tried fuel injector
> cleaner. The car is now at P.J. Grady's because it won't run. I agree
> that unless the car has been used regularly or at least had cleaner
> used previuosly you should avoid it as a quick fix. Modern fuel will
> slowly remove the deposits if the car is used regularly.
<SNIP>

Not just with the DeLorean, but with other cars that I've owned, have I had this
problem too. Even with my D 2 months ago, detergents only made the problem worse
(although I must say that the engine had quite a bit more power to it after pouring in
some denatured alcohol). Case in point. I had a 97 Hyundai Accent a few years ago,
that I purchased brand new. After about 18 months or so, I tried pouring in some STP
fuel injector cleaner to try and prevent anything from happening. 2 days later, the car
had no power. It took 3 months or so or regular driving to get the accelleration
normal again. Another great one was with a 95 Dakota pickup truck I had. I poured in
some Chemtool, and about a month or so later, the fuel pump seized up.

And just earlier this year when I tried running thru chemical cleaners when my
DeLorean failed smog, it made the engine much worse. Eventually, I did pass smog,
after a new set of fuel injectors, and a good blowing out of the lines. Ever since, no
problems at all, and quite a noticeable difference in power from the motor. Looking
back on it, it was about aroumd the time that I poured a bottle of cleaner in back in
December, that I began to have problems.

As it turned out, my fuel injectors were severly clogged. And according to my
mechanic, #6 was dribbling out. This on injectors that were 3 years old, and had
around 26K miles or so on them. My mechanic asked me if I was running cheap gas. I
said no, but I had used the cleaners. And in his words, as long as I run premium
gasoline (read: name brand, NOT high octane) with proper detergents in them, I
shouldn't need to use any additives thru the normal life of any car. And considering
the trouble that I've had in the past with them, I'm not going to use them any more.

Now buying them in the first place, I wasn't trying to substitute them for any types of
repairs. I had only good intentions of keeping my car running properly. But then
again, even the best of intentions don't always turn out the way we want..

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"