Re: [DML] Re: high hydrocarbon in exhaust

Re: [DML] Re: high hydrocarbon in exhaust

Rendy,

What state are you in? I have been involved with emission testing of
cars since the 1970s. Overall your car emssions are quite low. I am
suprised that the idle HC limit is lower than the High rpm HC limit.
This is ususally not the case because the converter runs a little
cooler at idle.

I also find it a little unusual that these standards are so tight for a
1981 vehicle. Again, with age, the standards usually become less
restrictive. Higher mileage vehicles will have less restrictive test
standards.

Lowering HC less at idle to below 120 ppm is tough. Since you have
alreadly dealt with the likely ignition causes, this does not leave much
other choice than replacing the converter. However, it is not typical
for a converter to be worn out after so few miles.

Your low idle CO indicates the A/F ratio is good. Usually, a bad
converter goes a much higher CO level.

How, often is your car driven. ? Your converter may just need a good
2-3 ride on the highway to burn off a lot of low temperature
contamination.

I would try this first and then retest the car before changing the
converter.

BOB