RE: [DML] Propane/Freon

Unless you are going to go out and buy a refrigerant analyzer (Snap-On sells one for $2000, Item# EEAC312C), I would only buy refrigerant from a knownreliable source. I know of some professional mechanics that always test their refrigerant when the receive it from their supplier, and even then sometimes it is contaminated. If the "reputable" sources let the contaminatedrefrigerants get though (and we must assume they TRY to have quality control), then how can you expect to get a quality product from a unknown source?

Sure, you may get lucky and get some pure R-12.. But with the number of other refrigerants and blends in the wild these days and poor quality mechanics (either because they don't know how to do the job, or don't care to do itcorrectly) the odds are that a given sample of refrigerant will be contaminated (IMHO).

So, do you feel lucky? Or do you want to risk doing expensive damage to your air conditioning system?? Or even worse, cause a major explosion if are unlucky enough to pump propane, or butane in to your system?

BTW, I found this interesting page on R-12 blends: http://www.refrigerant-supply.com/r-12.htm
I did not know R-209 was actually Propane, and R-600 is Butane. Blend the 2 of them and you have the OZ-12 "Replacement" for R-12.. I don't know about you, I don't want a mix of Propane and Butane (under pressure!) in the AC system of my car!