high hydrocarbon in exhaust

Hi

Yesterday, my Delorean failed the smog check due to high hydrocarbon. The technician played the rpm little bit but it did not lower the hydrocarbon.
The technician has suggested me replace the catalytic converter. I thought the catalytic converter support to last forever. There is no leak on my exhaust system. My car does idle a little low around 600 rpm. I also notice a little less power from the engine and higher fuel consumption in recent months. My car is approaching 30k miles and still has the original O2 sensor. Does any one has idea what else I can do before I replace the catalytic converter?

I would like to thank everyone in advance.

Rendy #4220