Re: high hydrocarbon in exhaust

Rendy - I don't believe that the catalytic converter would be involved
in high hydrocarbons. If the O2 sensor has failed, the fuel injection
defaults to a rich condition to avoid damage from detonation. Also,
if the frequency valve fails, the same is true. Or, you could have a
cold start valve gone mad, and dumping fuel at all times. High
hydrocarbons indicate an overly rich mixture, so fuel system failures
or misadjustments would be where to start. Another possible source
could be simply that your car needs a tune up, with fresh plugs,
wires, cap, etc. If you have a cylinder that isn't firing
consistently, the unburned fuel will result in high apparent
hydrocarbons. Any other thoughts from the rest of you?

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Rendy Cheng <rpcheng@xxxx> wrote:

> Yesterday, my Delorean failed the smog check due to high
hydrocarbon. The technician played the rpm little bit but it did not
lower the hydrocarbon.