Re: high hydrocarbon in exhaust

Unburned hydrocarbons usually indicates incomplete combustion
generally caused by a breakdown in the ignition system meaning YOU
NEED A COMPLETE TUNE-UP. If you don't know when these parts were last
changed then replace the following:
Spark Plugs
Ignition Wires
Distributer cap and Rotor
Fuel filter
Oil filter and engine oil
Air filter
If replacing these parts doesn't get you to pass then you will have to
find a shop that can adjust the mixture screw in the metering unit
after making sure there are no vacuum leaks. Since you are at 30,000
then you should also change the O2 sensor and adjust the valves but I
don't think that is what is failing as the sensor usually will last
longer than 30,000, that is just the interval that the EPA decided to
replace them at BEFORE they go bad! Of course 1 tank of leaded fuel
can kill the sensor AND foul the CAT.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757