Re: Strange shaky sliding steering...

Stian - This is a shot-in-the-dark, but have you checked the sleeved
rubber bushings at the connection of the front sway bar to the lower
control arms? These bushings maintain the caster angle of the front
suspension, as well as contribute to the toe angle stability. If the
rubber has completely separated from the steel sleeves (mine was
nearly so last year), you will get variable caster and toe-out,
depending on the loads being input into the front wheels. Braking
loads up the rear-most bushings, and the front-most bushings maintain
stability in low-speed, and down-shift situations. The nuts that
fasten the sway bar to the lower control arms through these bushings
can back out as well. This seems to be mostly on the passenger side
due to motion of the suspension elements causing rotation in the joint
in the same direction as removing the nut. These nuts should be
double-nutted. I changed these bushings to urethane when I found mine
nearly totally separated, and have been very happy with the solid
steering feel, and very stable braking performance.

BTW - Please remember to let us know what the problem turns out to be,
so that the entire list may learn from your situation. Thanks.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1 - Plain ol' stainless steel again - Stars and Stripes are
gone.

> My problem occurs only at very low speed or in a standstill downhill
while turning the steering wheel, for instance standing still in a
downhill/driving slowly and at the same time making a left or right
turn. The front will then sort of "slide" on the front wheels - as if
it gives way - and the steering wheel will go all the way to one of
the sides.
> Strange thing is, after I make the turn and speeding up, everything
is back to normal.