[DML] Re: DOA vs DML

At 03:31 PM 3/23/00 -0500, you wrote:

Snip..............
>I think Lee is exactly right with his remarks comparing prices to diamonds,
>we do have some control as to the price of our cars that are for sale, but
>what is not being taken into consideration is what will it cost to bring
>these cars back up to standards. I believe we are seeing more and more low
>end D's coming out that to be pristine quality would require thousands of
>dollars in work. The ones that are done being restored are being held on to
>by the owners who are caring for them and therefore not part of the "For
>Sale" research.

Snip..............On the issue of pristine....another factor that may not impact
absolute DMC-12 value but is a major consideration is what it really requires
in time and money to get any given DMC up to snuff.

When I first got my DMC I had no Idea how any of it worked or how to fix it.
DeLorean-One was my first stop and regular calls to ED B. became common
until I found the DML. Over the years now I have learned how to do seat covers
replace springs, install most of the hydraulics and more. The simple fact is that
DMC-12 Vin 5729 is now really "MY DMC" not just my car. Producing a high
standard collectors car can be reasonably affordable and fun, it all depends on
what you want out of the car in the first place and what you are willing to put
into it. Love and care, and spending hours cleaning parts and most of all
learning about what does this and what does that. The DML is our modern
way of picking up the phone and cranking it two times wait then another long
crank...."Hay Bunkey come on over!...I got that new sneeze through wind vent...
and...genuine laminated wild west artificial all wood gun rack for the rear window."

It's common sense and a fact that we as owners control the absolute price
of the DeLoreans, it's only when owners for what ever reason undersell that
the value begins to erode. Look at the price of an 81 Porch 911 now and
what it cost new, and do the same for the D........Interesting result!

The fact is that it is not the general public that decides the value or a potential buyer
that sets the value of a DeLorean, it's the owners, it's as simple as that. Just today
in fact I had to drive my wife to work
using the stainless ghost, then stopped at our local Safeway store for a few items.
I parked across and in full view of the check out stands so I could keep an eye on
my D. By the time I finished my shopping and checked out there were 4 or 5
people standing around my D having a lively conversation about it and JZD. It
was interesting to listen to their views and assumptions. Eventually they figured out
It was mine ( like when I pulled a key out and opened the Gull wing door) and asked the price..."How tacky I say" was my thought - I replied
with "what do you think it cost", and as I have said before, the range was $50
to $100K+, and I responded with my usual 'what did you pay for it answer..
."You would not belieeeeeeeeve what it cost!!!"

The value of the DMC-12 will rise just as soon as we the owners start demanding
the "correct price". I ask you "Just what price do you set on a Dream!.

Lee

CAUTION : Any individual or group discharging a nuclear device or weapon
inside Los Angeles city limits may be fined $500 - and/or serve 30 days in county jail.

It's the LAW!