[DML] Re: DOA vs DML

I usually keep pretty much to myself on here, but this topic has had me
thinking. When I bought my D, I paid below the average price for one,
knowing it needed some work. Now after 3 years of working to restore it and
keep it in like new condition, I am seeing some prices for "like-new" D's
going for less than I paid. At first I was concerned, then last night at
the latest DMC chat session, I asked what the future of our cars was.

Stephen responded by saying that a restored and maintained D with papers is
going easily for low 20's. This is higher then most I have seen for sale
online and got me thinking even more. After an hour or so I came to the
conclusion that the internet is not killing the marquee, but rather making
the availability of a D easier. It is bringing more and more "daily driver"
cars out of the woodwork, that might never be listed for sale, or even sold
due to condition. Many of these cars are being hailed as perfect cars, but
asking low prices that reflect the need for lots of work.

I think Lee is exactly right with his remarks comparing prices to diamonds,
we do have some control as to the price of our cars that are for sale, but
what is not being taken into consideration is what will it cost to bring
these cars back up to standards. I believe we are seeing more and more low
end D's coming out that to be pristine quality would require thousands of
dollars in work. The ones that are done being restored are being held on to
by the owners who are caring for them and therefore not part of the "For
Sale" research.

Now I am sure there are deals out there to be made, but I can tell you that
for every good deal someone got on a D, there are many MANY more stories of
those who paid a "good" price only to see the repair bill be more than the
cost of the car. Also I am not saying that everyone should be restoring
their car to like new condition, because it cannot be done. Look at any
other used car out there. There are high prices for the best ones, and from
there it goes down to salvage prices for the Junkers.

Just because a car is a DeLorean doesn't mean there are no Clunkers out
there.

Sorry to Rant, I hope I didn't blow it all on one letter,
Jack Stiefel
DMC Vin: 3461
New York Lic: 1981 DMC
Visit our DeLorean site at www.geocities.com/rodeodrive/8601/delorean.html