[DML] Re: Concour Manual (and more)

Gus Schlachter wrote:

> Not that I mind people competing for the cleanest,
> most original car, but as most of you know, the term
> "original" is relative. Particularly so for Delorean
> owners. If you replace a fuse, is it original? If you
> have something repaired under warranty or due to
> recall, is it no longer "as shipped from factory"?

You are right, this *is* a fascinating and tricky area where DeLoreans are
concerned. Having participated as a judge in DMC Houston's Millenium Concours
in Saint Louis, I know that they are continuing to conduct research to make it
better and better. I expect a number of improvements the next few times they
conduct a Concours as they fine tune their standards.

As a rule of thumb for any Concours, I would say the most important thing to do
is to impress the judges by being meticulous. A spectacularly clean car will
get you far. A judge might not notice a little thing, for example if you
replaced a fuse back in 1987. But if you show him/her the old, burnt-out fuse
you removed 12 years ago, plus the reciept for the replacement fuse, he/she will
probably be impressed.

> When a concours has a "daily driven" category,
> as James suggests, I'll be there. Until then, the
> only joy I will get for having clean, good looking
> car will be the envy of my friends and neighbors.

Last year, Ken Koncelik's DeLorean Car Show in Cincinnati *did* give awards for
daily drivers. His June 2000 show in Cleveland is still being planned, but I
know he will have prominent display space for all daily drivers. I expect that
he will again give some awards for daily drivers in which they do not compete
against the Concours cars.

Ken, how about giving your Cleveland 2000 website a few pictures of the huge
display of daily drivers that were judged in Cincinnati?

- Mike Substelny