[DML] Re: Concour Manual (and more)

You know, this thread reminds me that I really hate concours competitions.
Nothing says "waste" to me more than showing off a car that is clearly never
driven!

Not that I mind people competing for the cleanest, most original car, but as
most of you know, the term "original" is relative. Particularly so for
Delorean owners. If you replace a fuse, is it original? If you have
something repaired under warranty or due to recall, is it no longer "as
shipped from factory"? Original tires from 20 years ago? Is that even
safe?!?? You know, I've never been a fan a heavily modified cars, or even
bumper stickers for that matter, but my cars have to be *driveable*, and I
make them so. Still, I won't make any modification that won't pass as
original to the casual observer (i.e., my Corvette-based 3rd brake light).

I was in a concours only once, with my Miata. It had originally been a base
model (no radio, steel wheels, etc.). Even though I bought a Miata factory
radio, I got dinged. I bought Miata alloy wheels from a different model
year - dinged again. (OK, I can kinda see that one.) I lost points for not
having the buck-toothed, tie-down hooks in the air intake, which are only
for shipping, and for giving a tow truck driver the temptation to rip off
your bumper...these eyesores should have been removed as part of the dealer
prep. One of these days I'm gonna tell a judge that the car still has the
original oil and gas that I drained and saved for competition, but if he
actually gives me points for that I'll end up strangling him.

But I digress, sorry. When a concours has a "daily driven" category, as
James suggests, I'll be there. Until then, the only joy I will get for
having clean, good looking car will be the envy of my friends and neighbors.
:-)

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
VIN# 4695