[DML] Re: Concour Manual (and more)

In a message dated 10/19/99 6:10:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
james@xxxx writes:

<< Someone on the list a few weeks ago described a concours car as not just
being how the car rolled off the factory assembly line, but how the
**perfect** car came off the the assembly line. Should a car without a
gasflap have a locking gas cap? Logically, no. In the future, will this be
a deduction, in spite of the memo that says some cars were built that way?
Possibly, but I don;t expect it anytime soon. >>

My 1981 DeLorean has a locking gas cap which matches the original keys to the
car. My car does not have a gas flap however. Knowing the original owner
that I bought my car from and knowing its history exactly, I know the locking
gas cap on my car is original from the factory. Therefore this should
certainly not be a deduction for those cars that fall into this category.
There are too many items on the DeLorean that vary on cars very close in VIN
number. The antenna issue is one example. The recent discussion of Quality
Assurance stickers seems to be another. As it has been discussed here many
times and in reference to many cars, there is no way to set an exact
reference for certain items. This should be taken into account when setting
a Concours Guideline. Of course as different people are in charge of
DeLorean Concours events at Expos as well as Concours events at non DeLorean
Expos, there are sure to be different guidelines used. I do not see how
someone can be deducted points for something thier car came new with because
the consensus, or the majority of cars in the area of its production date,
may have a different variation. Perhaps the DeLorean Owners Association can
or will collectively pursue a collaboration of the major DeLorean parts
suppliers and other experts, such as people associated with the DeLoreans
production, to create a universal Concours Guideline Manual for our cars.
Also with references to particular VIN's and their documented differences.
Many owners are original owners and can supply information to items in
question, detailing the differences in the cars that shows some items cannot
be held to a universal standard when it comes to judging them. I would like
to see the different Concours Manuals or Guidelines that have been used and
compilied over the years for the DeLorean from the sponsors of past Expos.
Of course we have seen on the list many times different people strongly
involved in DeLorean repair or original employees of DMC, disagree on certain
items related to production. In almost all cases they are all very
legitimate sources. I think it would be extremely difficult for any one
entity or individual to try to set parameters. Any one who has had to do it
knows how hard it is and those that have done it have done an exceptional job
recently. The most recent Expo in St Louis which I attended was very good.
But once again because of the short life of the DeLorean factory, its
location, the Quality Assurance centers, and so on, this is an extremely
difficult undertaking. Research the history of your car if possible. For
those that know the history and originality of their car, do not get upset
when someone disagrees with you at a car show about items on your DeLorean,
trying to tell you it is incorrect for your VIN. Reading the DeLorean
Mailing List posts from the many fine sources we have, and people associated
with the car both past and present, we can see clearly how certain items
relating to the DeLorean cannot be classified to an exact standard which can
"umbrella" certain cars in a production period. I suppose if every car that
left the factory or one of the quality centers in the states, was documented
to a Concours Standard, we could have an exact guideline to follow.
Obviously thats not something that would be feasible or necessary back then.
To make a universally accepted Concours Guideline today, is something that
would take the collaboration of all the resources of parts suppliers,
original members of DeLorean Motor Cars, knowledgable members of different
clubs, and all the other fine individuals who have made the research of the
DeLoreans history, upkeep, and the continued existence of the DeLorean car
their passion in life.

P.S. The DeLorean Mailing Lists greatest quality is the ability to hear
different opinions or experiences about the DeLorean from many sources new
and old.
(My opinion of course :)

Gary Gore
Activities Director