[DML] Re: 350 in a D?

If you want 350 cubic inches, you should have bought a different car.

The Delorean was never intended to spin the tires and do 0 to 60 in 2 seconds. Mr. John Delorean set out to build the ethical sports car and I think that he did one hell of a job.

 The PRV-6 (B28-F) has turned out to be a solid work horse and so very dependable. Even the Volvo dealer mechanics that I visited with this week, when I was purchasing an oil filter, can not believe that Volvo discontinued their use of this engine. They said that they has never seen a PRV-6 (B28-F) that needed rebuilding. So it may not be the fastest or have the most power, but in all rights I will say that it has to be one of best engines out there.

The Delorean has several great things going for it, that most cars in it's class dont. The reliability and the cost efficiency were some of the main reasons for me purchasing my Delorean. Also the ease of working onthis car is fantastic. I know what some of you are saying "ease?", but trust me on this one. I have owned several cars that I would not touch a thing on because of how complex they were. The Delorean for the most part is simple to work on if you have any mechanical ability at all. Next, some of you will say, "well if the car is so reliable why are you doing all this work on it, to know how simple the car really is?" I have met two other owners that give me the pleasure of doing some of their maintenance work. Most of the repairs that I have done to their cars is because the cars have set for so long and have not been driving. (For gosh sake drive your Deloreans! It does them no good at all to just sit around and besides if you all wanted something to look at you could have bought a model kit and saved thousands of dollars.)

I purchased my Delorean in Nov. of 98 and have put 7500miles on it. The car has never left me stranded and I trust her to go anywhere. Since I purchased my Delorean I have repaired what the previous owner had not done including some updates. (The only update that my Delorean is missing is the Tankzilla.  The fuel gage is working and if it is not broke dont fix it.) I have spent less money on my Delorean then my mother has on her new car, not bad for a 18 year old car. ( This includes scheduled maintenance service that she has to have done to maintain the warranty to her car. Whata rip off.)

So what it boils down to is that the Delorean is a great and economical way to style and profile. Dont screw up the good thing that you got.

 erik geerdink, my best advice for you is to take some of your free time and quit talking about cars, go to your local technical school and sign up for auto classes. Dont just sit there, but learn what makes a car go. ( no the answer is not gasoline ) By learning how and why a car works you will save yourself a  lot of trouble, grief, heartache, pain, and dollars. ( I thank God that I had June Brewer, as a teacher, to teach me about what makes a car really work. If it was not for him sharing his knowledge with me I too would be lost.)

I am driving the dream and loving it.
Robert Starling
Vin#5252