[DML] Re: aftermarket steering wheel

In a message dated 9/14/99 10:15:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
james@xxxx writes:

<< When I bought my DeLorean in 1995, it had an aftermarket wheel on it, I
replaced it witha facotry wheel and subsequently traded the wheel and
adapter to Marty Maier here on the list. >>

James,
I've still got the adapter sitting right here on my desk, and the
steering wheel is hanging up in the garage. I never really found a
combination I liked better then the stock Delorean steering wheel. The
after-market wheel I got from you is made by a company called "Grant". They
make a lot of different after-market steering wheels in all size, shapes and
colors. The adapter is also from Grant, but when I contacted Grant with the
number stamped on the adapter ( also faxed them a drawing of the splines and
taper on the steering shaft ) they told me they couldn't tell me what it was
( the number is a casting number, not a part number ) and they also said they
couldn't find an adapter to match the steering shaft info I sent them. I
truly think the "couldn't find a match" was actually more like "wouldn't
spend the time to look " type of thing. Oh well, what do you do with
companies like this ? I also contacted MOMO with the same info and got the
same response of couldn't find an adapter to fit. I do think MOMO actually
spent some time on their efforts though.
One thing I did notice when playing with a few different style steering
wheels, the stock Delorean unit really has a "deeper dish" to it then many
after-market wheels. I found with most after-market units, I had to telescope
the steering shaft out quite a ways so the wheel and your hands would clear
the binnacle. Doing this exposed the steering shaft at the adapter base, thus
not giving a very good appearance to the installed assembly. I know you can
cover this up with boots or collars, but this still gives the appearance of
an add-on. Like I said, I never was able to find anything I liked better
then the stock Delorean wheel. Again, this is my personal opinion and I'm
sure others feel differently. Maybe I just didn't find the "right"
after-market wheel.

Marty