[DMCForum] alternators 101

Electrical Gurus,
I have talked about almost every other delorean repair on the forum and
the
DML. I have had tons of help from everyone....
One area that I am curious about is the alternator. I have heard all the
complaints and probems with differeent alternators. Can someone give a
quick
rundown on the Delorean alternator and volt guage....My gauge usually sits
just above half way up (I think 13v) But sometimes if I am stopped at a
light and my lights are on or other electicval draws the guage will go
down
below half....Sometimes if I am sitting still I will put everything on to
see how low it will go. Does the guage reading below 13v mean it is
draining
the battery? I think I read you want the needle just above the middle line
for normal operation. How do you know when your alternator is dying? Does
it
go all at once or is it a slow death? Could a dying alternator casue a

My Battery is relativey old (3-4 years) and took alot of abuse while I was
fixing all my fuel/dist and door light problems. I think I recharched it
25
times. But now it starts right up and has held a charge for 6 months and
seems to be fine.....Is there an easy way to test my alternator without
killing  myself :-)

Hope these aren't rediculus questions just want to learn more about the
alternator. I think If I needed a new one I would get the Motorola 105amp.

Mike C
2109
BTTF pinball :-)