From: John Dore <dmcjohn@xxxxxxxxxxx> [mailto:dmcjohn@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 3:44 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Roof leak fixed! - (Ricks advice included).

Hey Rick!
I'm so sorry if I didn't reply to your email personally, I thought I
did. I really appreciate the trouble you went to to help me out,
amazing really between 2 guys who have never even met! DMC owners are
cool people.
Anyway, here's the whole text of Ricks email to me, advising me on
where to find the roof leaks...
Thanks,
John Dore, VIN #3810.

--------------RICKS MESSAGE BELOW!!--------------
Hi John.

I'm glad your car made it to Ireland okay.  I was wondering that.  I
hope things are good at college.  I'm sorry I couldn't join you for a
pint in Rhode Island.

I've taken apart my car's roof, and while doing it analysed the
rainwater flow patterns.

The biggest entry point for the water is through/around the
horizontal seal at the top of the door.  I can't really imagine this
seal ever working completely, even when new.  At best, it will limit
how much water ends up in the "gulley".  I presume that the designers
intended this water to run down the gulleys along side the periphery
of the door.  I can't know this for sure, it just looks that way from
the design.

I'd bet a dollar that either:

1. rust is forming on the bottom of your roof support, forcing a
break in the seal between the roof support and the fiberglass
underbody.  There are a few holes for fasteners around there that
might be the entry point for water into the passenger compartment.
If the wet spot is in the center of the headliner, I'd suspect the
six holes in the center.  There are other holes, mostly around the
periphery of the roof support, but I don't remember off the top of my
head where they all are.  The easy cure: run a sealant bead along the
edge of the metal roof support and along the hinge edges.  The good,
but difficult and invasive cure: remove the roof support, and get the
bead under the roof support and under the hinges.

2. Water is running through the holes where the door wiring enters
the roof, and flowing through the hollow roof support to the front or
rear edge of the roof support.  If the wet spot is at the rear of the
headliner, near the window, I'd suspect this.  No easy cure, as far
as I know. If it's at the front, I'd suspect either 2. or:

3. Water is running over the front edge of the t-panel under the top
windshield bezel(exceedingly likely) or in front of the seals at the
front top edge of the door, where it encounters a stainless steel
bracket, which is attached to the underbody with several mild steel
fasteners.  The fasteners definitely are exposed to a lot of water,
and tend to rust severely because of contact with the big stainless
steel bracket, at least they did on my car.  Water is probably
running under the bracket, which may have partially dislodged from
fastener failure, and through holes in the windshield bead, or
through cracks in the fiberglass, which seems inclined to spall in
that area, to make the inside of your windshield wet.  I tend to
think that freezing of water soaked fiberglass causes the spalling in
the underbody near the windshield, but I'm not sure.  This problem
has a really good, and only moderately invasive cure.  The top
aluminum bezel part at the windshield is not horribly difficult(or
easy) to remove, if my memory serves me. After unscrewing and
removing it, by pulling it toward the back of the car
(counterintuitively), you can put beads of sealant at the fasteners,
around the bracket, and at the top of the windshield.  Don't use a
lot of force removing or installing this part; it touches the top
edge of the windshield, which is fragile.  It would be really easy to
break the windshield by overmuscling this bezel part.  You may need
to add new fasteners to the bracket.  On my car I had to, because
some of the old fasteners wrecked the integrity of the fiberglass at
the attachment site.  When I reinstalled mine, I ran a length of
electrical tape along the top edge of the windshield to cushion the
contact with the bezel.  It was also kind of tricky getting the bezel
piece to interface with the bracket.

I think that 3 is most likely, 1 is somewhat likely, and 2 in
unlikely.  I don't think there are really any good cures for these
troubles short of rebuilding the affected joints.  If it were my car,
and teardown wasn't an option, I'd cover it up in the rain, at the
very least the top of the car.  On my car, I was able to rebuild all
of the joints, and waterproof them at least as well as the factory
did, and I'm still skeptical that it won't leak.  It's an
intrinsically problematic design.  I'll be carrying a cover in my car
at all times, and if it rains, I'm pulling over and covering the
thing until it stops.

I've done all of these things on my car, but I had the benefit of
having the thing dissassembled, so I might be oversimplifying some
aspect of the process when it's done on an assembled car.  I've made
that mistake once before passing along experience with my car, which
is a little atypical in some respects.

The car cover is the easiest way out.  Sorry for the novel( oh wait,
it's non-fiction)

Rick Gendreau 11472