From: "Farrar Hudkins" <fhudkins@xxxxxxx>
To: <DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 1:26 PM
Subject: Re: [DMCForum] DMC-2

> Avi et al:
>
> Tamir's website (www.entermyworld.com) at one time had some photographs
> of drawings of the proposed DMC-2, with some technical information as
> well. I haven't checked the site recently so I can't tell you what it is
> or where, so you'll just have to trust me and check out his website ...
>
> You asked for my opinion. This is what I can think of at the end of a
> Wednesday work-day. (You have been warned!)
>
> As for financing a car company, particularly at a time when even titan
> General Motors is floundering as it reels from its marketing and
> manufacturing blunders and the economic sputtering we've seen the past
> few years, it would be nearly impossible. Even the "new" car
> manufacturers these days started several or more years ago with help
> from the bigger ones and are owned by the big companies that have been
> in existence for years. A few exceptions exist, but I can't remember
> them off the top of my head. And a lot of the smaller ones have been
> gobbled up to avoid extinction.
>
> It would be difficult at best to start a car company in America without
> support from one of the Big Three. (Example: It has taken Saturn a long
> time to become a recognized brand-name, and they're owned by GM anyway.)
> John DeLorean has the added difficulty that the first time he started a
> car company without help from the Big Three, it took him years of delay
> and country-hopping to get the money necessary; he had to take loans
> from the British government which shafted him; and was shut down
> essentially by the major auto manufacturers of the time, the U.S.
> government, and possibly the men behind Thatcher's government (this last
> suggestion came to me from a co-worker who used to work for BBC News).
> This downfall, conspiratorial or not, ruined his standing in the public
> eye, and even today his reputation is tainted by the charges he was
> acquitted of. (Reference: jokes about "Oh yeah, the DeLorean. Isn't that
> the car that follows the white lines?", people asking "DeLorean? Is he
> still in jail?") For someone who's over seventy and whose career was
> ruined by two governments and the American auto moguls, it's a
> >monumental< undertaking to start quite literally from scratch, and
there's a shortage of people to ask for money at >any< time, much less now
when the economy is awaiting "stimulus" from the government (and/or a
war).
Additionally, I would have to try to think from his perspective: here's a
guy who created an ethical sportscar - safe, stylish, practical, reliable,
etc. - and he sees the American public buying SUVs that get 8 miles to the
gallon, then driving them around like sportscars and crashing them into
one
another and flipping them over and such, and simply buying a newer, bigger
one. At the other end of the spectrum you have the Japanese creating
(alongside their SUVs) "hybrid" vehicles, and Chrysler (possibly others)
creating vehicles that don't even run on petroleum-based fuel. Time,
perhaps, to re-think how to fuel your vehicle, perhaps, and wait until a
time when alternative fuels are going to catch on more, like after the
Middle East explodes and gas prices rise to $8 a gallon. Or possibly to
re-think the scheme of your vehicle: how ethical do you want it, when
people
are driving unethical vehicles every day and paying $50,000+ for them?
There
are a lot of questions to ask when you're thinking of producing something
unique, and I for one wouldn't have a clue where to begin. (Granted, John
DeLorean knows a lot more about cars and the car industry than I ever
will;
these are just the questions >I< can think of. I'm sure he would have to
consider even more, and speculating on the future when a country's about
go to war with an oil-producing nation, playing brinkmanship with another
... well, the economy is affected by a lot more than that, and how the
heck
can you predict the right time for bringing in a new vehicle when so many
things are keeping our economy in a state of flux? It's next to
impossible.)

> But the optimist in me must speak: I believe that John DeLorean knows
> what he's doing, and the second time around he will do it very
> carefully, to avoid being burned to a crisp once again. We can only be
> patient, and maybe send him some checks to finance his new business if
> we have a couple of billion dollars to spare. ;)
>
> What, you actually >read< all of this?! Sheesh!
>
> Kind regards,
> Farrar in New Orleans
>
> Avi wrote:
> >
> > I know peope have discussed this before, but with talk of Gullwing
cars
on the horizon, we must focus on one that supposedly is in the works by
our
friend with a undying cause. JZD and The DMC-2.

> > IT has Come to my attention that he has updated his site, ( I go to
his
site everyday hoping for a update) he updated it a few months ago, but i
don't think anyone has paid any attention.

> > It says atleast  monthly updates, and its been 2 months, no updates, I
mean, If he wants a website, I have a friend who can easily make DMC a
Brand
new Professional Flash website, hes on a contract so he'll get the job
done,
no more relying on some company that can't do its job, or having to labor
at
the computer.

> > And About the Watches, Does anyone have one of those beauties? I want
one but for 2k i could get a rolex, and im broke paying of my D.

> > And Has Anyone Seen this Prototype of his? He Says its 85% Completed.
85%? As in Completed? or as in blueprints, and this announcement is old,
the
site is supposed to stay updated, but I haven't seen any new info or pics.