Re: [doc] Thanks!

> When Tris and I first talked about starting the DOC news group it was
> intended for UK club members only......Why? Well to run the club, to
> arrange shows, to stock spares, to offer a good service, costs money. Most
> of us contribute time, stamps, postage, long phone-calls to members, etc.
> etc. completely free. But a successful club has to reach the other 50%
> non-computer literate DeLorean owners. They relay on the news letter,
> Magazines, shows, telephone etc. Out of the £15 full club members pay,
most
> goes on printing, and spares and product acquisitions.

I also hoped to promote a bit of community atmosphere in the mailing list by
restricting it to members only, and avoid the aspects of the DML that I
personally found negative, such as large volumes of mails that were of
little interest and a largely American orientation. I like the fact that the
tone and context of the majority of the messages on the DOC mailing list
(IMHO) show that the writer knows most of the recepients personally.
However, we have been very lax on restricting subscriptions to members only.
I'm sure we have more subscribers than members, but as long as the list is
enjoyable for the members I don't see any immediate need to deny other
enthusiasts access - I wonder how many subscribers the DML would have if you
had to be a paid up member of the DOA to join?

I have become more of a lurker than a contributer, so am more than willing
to run the list as Chris/the Club pleases. If members want access restricted
then it can be restricted, either by the "Read Only" option Martin suggested
or complete exclusion of non-members.This is, and always will be, the DOC
Mailing List, and so making sure it is of value to the club members will
always be top priority.

Lastly, I'd like to reassure Chris that his efforts do not go unnoticed. I
was a club member before he arrived on the scene (I believe....) and his
appearance WAS out of the ordinary due to the sheer amount of enthusiasm and
gusto he brought with him. As far as I'm concerned, the club hasn't looked
back since Chris arrived and immediately immersed himself in helping the
members, promoting the club and organising events. Not to deny any of the
other members their well-deserved credit, but it is disappointing to see
Chris getting frustrated when he has commited so much of his time and
resources to us all.

It would also be a great shame for the club to lose it's unique association
among the members due to a few people abusing it's generousity, so please
don't let a small problem get out of hand.

Regards to all,

Tris
----