Re: [DML] Electrical Troubles

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Louie Golden <louie@xxxx> wrote:
> ... It'll show 10.5 volts on the gague, and read almost 14
straight from the battery.

If the voltage for the same rail is different at two different
places, then you have a voltage drop from the one place to the other.

Voltage drops can be due to a number of factors including:
1) Current draw through the interconnect is high relative to the
gauge of the wire carrying the current, resulting in a voltage drop
(and some heating of the wire). For instance, when the fans kick in,
there is substantial current being drawn and the measured voltage at
the fans may be lower than the measured votage at the battery (or at
the alternator) due to the IR voltage drop through the cable.
2) Interconnect suffers from resistive connections. This is often
the case with our cars where some of the terminals have corroded and
is especially a problem with ground connections. If you have a poor
ground connection, then you get a voltage drop across the ground
connection resulting in the effective voltage being seen as less. I
believe the ground connection for the dash is on the driver's front
frame (I think you can see it with the driver's front wheel
removed). A lot of other high-current circuits also get their ground
from the same point including the lights and the fans. If the ground
connection is not good, then you'll get a voltage drop across the
ground connection resulting in the effective measured voltage
dropping correspondingly. There's also the main battery grounding
terminal in the rear of the car to worry about as well.

If the voltage for the same rail is different in two places, then
you should ask yourself why that's the case if they are electrically
connected.

Knut