Re: Conflicting Advice. Who's right?

I suspect the reason there is so much suspicion and confusion about
this topic is because most the information we get on the subject is
from the folks that sell oil and, the manuals we have are making
references and using information that is extremely outdated.
Certainly, since the DeLorean was manufactured, considerable
advancements have been made in lubricating technologies. I have
personally fretted about this subject until I got some engineering
information from a petroleum engineer friend some years ago and then
did some reading on the subject.

There are many factors that go into recommendations for an engine
lubricant. The engine tolerances, operating temperatures, emissions,
oil capacity, circulating efficiencies in the engine just to name
some. But the goals are proper flow, protection at high and low
temps, and cleanliness.

Getting to the bottom line ? The DeLorean engine should use 40
weight oil. Whatever W you want to use for winter or cold weather
starting should be based on your local conditions. In Houston 10W-40
works most of the time. In the Northeast (NJ) I use 5W-40 Synthetic.
I would say for most locations and using conventional oil, stay with
10W-40.

Actually there are probably 16 or so specifications one may want to
review when deciding on an engine lubricant. However, you need not
be that discerning if you stick to major brands like Shell,
Valvoline, Pennzoil, Exxon, Havoline, etc. and yes, full synthetic
lubricants are far superior to conventional oils.

My personal experience - when I lived in Houston I drove a DeLorean
everyday for ten years and over 80,000 miles I used 10W-40 Exxon. My
petroleum engineer friend worked for Exxon and he showed me that, in
convential motor oils, the add-pack was everything and only the
majors had the quality control to do it right. The oil and filter
was changed every 3-6,000 miles depending on when I had the time,
etc. However, today I use full synthetic 5w-40 and change the oil
once a year. Last year I put about 7,000 miles on the oil.

The filter is probably as important as the lubricant. Don't use
discount brand filters ? there is a real difference in quality here.
The original Purflux, or Purolator, Bosch, Wix, or NAPA Gold is
best. I personally do not like Fram. I use NAPA Gold 1085 (a cross
with the Purolator L14670) because it is a large filter (I have the
45 degree elbow on the oil sender) and I like the larger filter
capacity.

Harold McElraft - 3354