Re: Conflicting Advice. Who's right?/5w30?

Re: Conflicting Advice. Who's right?/5w30?

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> There are many factors that go into recommendations for an engine
> lubricant. The engine tolerances, operating temperatures, emissions,
> oil capacity, circulating efficiencies in the engine just to name
> some. But the goals are proper flow, protection at high and low
> temps, and cleanliness.
<SNIP>

Absolutely right on all counts here. Not every engine is going to respond the
exact same way to every oil. And yes, lubricating technology has come quite a
ways since the D first hit the pavement. Both in preventing thermal
breakdown, and in cleaning detergents. A great example of that is my car. The
first couple of oil changes that I did around the 3500 or so mile marks, the oil
was dark, and nasty. Since using regular conventional oils, my oil is now
much cleaner, an has gone from a nasty, almost black, to a dark gold color
when changing. And it runs much smoother. As far as what brand to use, the
most reccomended brands that I've heard are Castrol, Mobile, and Exxon
based lubricants, as they come from Gulf Coast wells. I've heard that
Pennzoil, and Valvoline are not quite as good, because they originate from
Pennsylvania wells that produce a higher parrafin (wax) content. Of course I
would assume that strict refinement would remove the wax just the same, but
who knows. Since this is speculation, take it as just that. But if anyone has any
online resources that could point out differences in brands, please share the
links!

Manufacturer specifications when it comes to performance/emissions/etc... do
indeed play a HUGE part in how the determine what types of oil to use in their
motors. Many GM and Ford engines as it seems state to only use 5w30 oil.
This surprised me quite a bit too as the vehicles that use this weight such as
Grand Am/Prix and Explorers have engines that are designed for
performance in either driving fast, or towning. But looking at newer
technologies such as more efficient engine/transmission cooling, better
filtration, and more efficient internal lubrication, and combustion management
computers, engines won't break down, nor dirty the oils are quickly. Hence
they can run these lighter oils to decrease emissions, and increase
performance.

And efficient filtration plays a HUGE roll as well. Learning from past
experience with my DeLorean, I only buy filters from the manufacturer. Purflux
for the DeLorean, and Motorcraft for the Ford (which they sell @ Wal Mart
now). FRAM is junk from several sources I've seen online, and from the
photos you can see in the archives of one that failed while it was on my car.

Now when it comes to the DeLorean, I myself play it safe, and stick with the
factory guidelines. I *might* be able to get away with a lighter oil weight, but
what I run works just fine. Going by what the owners manual says, and by how
my engine responds, I'm doing just fine. BUT, I do not see a need to ever go
below 10w40. The kind of temperatures that warrant that light wieght will
probably have such inclimate weather, that your car is going to be in storage
anyways. But then again, it just depends upon what your engine likes. If you
live in an area where it gets cold enough in the evenings, and the motor runs
easier on 5w40, then yes, I'd say by all means, use it. Going over 15w40 is
unessisary too, unless you live in the Southwestern Mojave, and drive your
car hard in 100+ temperatures. If it gets cold, and you've got 20w50 in you
DeLorean, she will be pretty crankywhen you start her up cold. And once you
do get her started, the engine will not respond properly. Hit the gas, and shell
rev up slowly. Don't give her enough gas, and she'll lug. Plus when running
20w50, I've noticed a great deal more oil spattered on my air filter from the
breather hose, and more soot in the tailpipes.

The biggest unresolved debate is going to be regular vs. synthetic. Engines
designed specificly for synthetic have smaller sized oil passeges that are
designed the the smaller, more uniformed HC chains in synthetic. Regular
oils will not flow as well, and can hence impeed lubrication in these engines.
regular engines can go either way. I do just fine with regular, conventional oil,
so I stick with it. Plus the higher cost is a factor too. 7 quarts of syntheic gets
pretty expensive. Granted though, you don' have to change it as often. If
anyone here can relate some experience in switching their PRV over to
synthetic, and can give some details on changes that they've noticed, I've love
to hear!

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"