AW: [DML] Conflicting Advice. Who's right?

AW: [DML] Conflicting Advice. Who's right?

I don't think that a real expert would suggest you to use
synthetic oil in this engine. It wasn't designed for that and would never
benefit of that oil. I also never heared about 10W30 oil. Isn't 10W40
more common in the states like it is here in Europe ?

Simply don't buy the cheapest and don't pay extra because you buy it in
a neat plastic container which already costs half of the oils price itself.

Elvis & 6548 with 7 liters 10W40

O.K. guys, I've spent quite a bit of time looking through the archives
regarding the correct weight oil to be used in our cars. The overwhelming
majority of experts in our midst recommend using 10w-30 under most
conditions. Even the majority of Volvo guys say exactly the same thing with
regard to the PRV. However, I was cruising through my copy of the DMC
Workshop Manual and found a disturbing disclaimer under "Recommended
Lubricants, Fluids and Capacities" (Section A:05:01) It states: "THE USE OF
10W-30 MULTIGRADE OIL IS NOT ADVISABLE UNLESS THE TEMPERATURE WARRANTS IT."
The average temperature up here in Boston during the summer months can vary
from 65 to 95 degrees. They suggest in the manual that the 10w-30 only be
used in the event of hard cold weather starting. I've been considering using
the 20w-50 synthetic in accordance with their recommendation. Anyone want to
shed some light on this?
Thanks,
Rustproof
Vin 1559