Re: [DML] SS Illusion value

Mark

As the owner of a bookstore and the owner of a
pristine copy of SSI, here are my thoughts.

Yes, a reissue will have an adverse effect upon the
value of SSI. The amount of such an adverse impact
will depend upon a number of things.

If the reprint is identical to the original in every
way, (cover, dust jacket, paper quality, etc.) the
impact will probably be significant. If however, the
reprint is of a lesser quality (as such reprints often
are), the impact will be less.

I suspect that most first editions are in the hands of
DeLorean owners and enthusiasts. A few are owned by
collectors who simply specialize in automotive books.
Those types of collectors will still want first
editions and, frankly, will pay even more for a
pristine copy.

I think only time will tell. In the future I can see
listings for DeLoreans which might say "Rare first
edition of SSI included". Heck, that might even add
$100/$200 to the value of the car. I know that my
personal collection of DeLorean memorabilia will only
be sold with my car when I finally am no longer able
to drive it.

Dick Ryan

In any event, my copy is not for sale.