Re: [DML] Charging system curiosity

Toby, I'll insert my comments to your post.

To begin with, I have a Delco
108 amp alternator installed (for the past 8 years or so).
At present, my "idiot light" is glowing most of the time,
( This indicates normally a short to ground, either through the regulator or
diodes. ) and the voltage in the system is showing 14.5 volts using a digital
multimeter at the
battery terminal in the engine bay.
( This is the correct place to measure the voltage and 14.4 up to 14.7 is a
typical regulator voltage. You can get higher. It will vary with manufactures
and application.)
The static voltage in the car is about 13.2 volts with the engine off.
( With the car off the OCV voltage should be 12.66 , Do this test. Turn on
the head lights for about one minuet and then wait for about 5 minuets and
test the OCV again and see if the battery is about 12.66 volts.)( OCV is Open
circuit voltage)
If I idle the engine, and turn on everything, I see a voltage pull down to
about 13.2 volts. Is this an internal regulator challenge with the
alternator, or some bizarre
ground situation?
(With everything turned on and the alternator /regulator is at 13.2
volts,This is good. )
What RPM are you idling.
Was the alternator hot or cold when the test was done.
I know that the voltages are high ... hmmmmm.
(Your voltages aren't high at all.)
There is evidence of outgassing from the battery.
( This is normal at times)
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/alternators.shtml