Re: Charging system curiosity

>From the description of the symptoms my guess is a bad voltage
regulater in the alternater. The alternater is running "flat out",
that is the regulater is bad and thinks the battery is low and is
telling the alternater to output full. Take the alternater off and
have an auto electrical shop "bench" it. That is they put it on a test
bench and can control the load and watch it operate. If confirmed bad
the regulater is easy to replace but it may be smarter to get a
rebuilt with new bearings and brushes too. If the battery was
subjected to overcharging it may need to be replaced too. Take it
along and have it load tested. Be careful, before removing the
alternater disconnect the battery. If this was a grounding problem you
wouldn't have full output on the alternater, the starter wouldn't
work, and the idiot light wouldn't come on. This could have been
caused by jump-starting or accidently touching the cables the wrong
way.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "tmpintnl" <tobyp@xxxx> wrote:
> Hello List - I've got a little challenge with Winged1 that is
outside
> of my limited knowledge of electricity. To begin with, I have a
Delco