Re: Details of Pre-production car on ebay?

Re: Details of Pre-production car on ebay?

Claude and List,

The pre-production car on ebay is just that, "pre-production".
This does not imply that it was a prototype, just pre-production.
A lot of the post about this topic are based on speculation. Why
speculate when you can get answers from the source. Just call Jim.

When something like this appears on ebay or to the general public,
there is alway spectulation that appears on the list. That is why
I went right to the source regarding this car, since the owner had
posted his phone number right in the ad. The owner was a former
Delorean company employee, working with these cars at the time they
were being designed and built. What better source is there than
actually talking to someone that was a part of the process.

I have been a Delorean enthusiast for many years, have owned and
refurbished over a dozen Deloreans since 1985, have talked to many
people who know Deloreans and have read most of what is available
to read about Deloreans, but I know that I do not know all there is
ro know about Deloreans. Spectulation is fine when that is the only
source of information, but making a determination based on only a few
dark photos is probably not a very reliable method of analysis.

I have never met Jim in person or seen the car in person, but I am
certainly willing to give Jim the benefit of the doubt that he knows
the history of this car better than almost anyone I know. I have not
seen hand formed SS panels painted before, in person or in photos,
but I have seen hand repaired SS panels that have been painted, and
although they do not look great when repaired and not refinished, the
same panel does look great once it has been prepped and painted.
The underbody molds were made and used before the factory was open.

Bottom line, if you dispute what Jim claims to be the truth about his
car, why not just give him a call. Jim was very forthcoming about all
the custom work that has been done, not claiming it was otherwise. If
you just want to know more about it or clarify some details, I'm sure
he would be more than happy to talk with you about it. I believe that
a phone call to him is much more worth while than just speculation.

By the way, Jim will take a partial trade of a late model dirt bike or
two (for his kids) toward the payment of the Delorean.

Any questions, give Jim a call.

Later,
Rich W.

>snip<

> WHAT!! How do you build a factory STOCK black fiberglass underbody
> without a running factory !!(all the underbodies as me know them
were made at the DMC factory) As that car has a production line
fiberglass underbody.
THAT is a true indication of a 500 series Delorean.If it was/is a P.Prod.