X-Over Parts. (was Re: Over heat protector questions.)

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Adam Price" <acprice1@xxxx> wrote:

> I am trying to make my own overheat protector and I was just
wondering if
> copper is okay to use?
<SNIP>

As far as the copper is concerned, I honestly can't answer your
question there. But I do have one question in return: Why bother?

The overheat protector works perfectly fine, so I've no idea as to
how you could possibly improve it if that were the goal. Other
than that, as I've heard, finding the perfect barbed fitting to
replace the bleeder screw is not the simplest of tasks. If you
order the kit, it will have everything together in one shot, and
installs fairly quickly. No chasing down parts, no driving all over
town, no dealing with "less than informed" people & retail stores,
or anything like that.

Not just the overheat protector, but other x-over parts and the like,
I see alot of people posting about needing to find matches @
local auto stores and the like. I'm not going to be a hypocrite and
say that I would never buy parts from a chain auto store for my
car, because I have. But when it comes to things that you can
replace/repair @ your leisure, why even bother with local
places? If you need parts for your DeLorean that are guarnteed
to work with/fit on your car like brake pads, water pumps, or even
an overheat protector, just call up your favorite DeLorean vendor!
What extra price you may pay is well worth the piece of mind!
You'll know for sure that the parts will work because they were
designed for your car. If nothing else, it's worth it to speak with
someone on the phone who knows DeLoreans. Unlike the
yokels you run into @ the chain places who barely know even
common cars!

If the shipping delay is what gets you down, try planning repairs
in advance, not on a whim. Need to do an oil change for
instance? Set the time to do it for next week, and order the parts
online right now. By the time you're ready, the parts will be
waiting for you already! Patience is a virtue! Get into this habit,
and things will really seem different!

If a warranty for instance is the concern such as with an
alternator, or calipers, then there is really only one question
there: If warranties are a high priority for you, then don't even
consider buying a car over 5 years old, let alone a classic.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"