CORROSION - FUEL PUMP

 From time-to-time I notice comments arising on the DML in reference to
fuel pump corrosion. Some time ago, I had the same problem. In fact, the
pump was so corroded that fuel was squirting out through a hole in the top
of the pump. On investigating, I found the rubber boot full of a mixture
of both fuel and water; the water having gained access because the boot
cover had come loose and a portion of the pump was exposed. Considering
the seclusion of the fuel pump, I could not understand how the water got
there in the first place.

Upon investigation, I discovered that water from the windshield wiper
trough exits via a one inch diameter pipe which is located high on the rear
wall of the trunk practically in line with the fuel pump. If enough water
enters the wiper trough, such as when washing the vehicle, it will stream
directly on top of the fuel pump. This I know, because I have tried it!!.

To protect the fuel pump from water, I have made a deflection shield out of
Herculite fabric. Herculite is a fibreglass reinforced fabric which is
extremely durable, completely waterproof and long-lasting. The shield,
which is held in place by the wheel-well panel, is large enough to
completely deflect water completely away from the pump.

This modification is a very simple and worthwhile process. Attached are
pictures of the fuel pump area, drain hole and shield.

In my opinion, protection of the fuel pump and probe from water is far from
satisfactory and a definite flaw in the manufacture of the DeLorean.

Lance Haslewood
Australia