Re: [DML] Heat Stove Function.

[MODERATOR NOTE - Regarding emissions legality - this is EXTREMELY variable from locality to locality, sometimes even on a county level. It's impossible to genarlize what is good/bad with respect to emissions law because of this.]

I won't bother with the legal aspects of removing the Air Intake Flap
since I've already submitted another post specificly about the legal
issues. But, I can tell you that I've never failed an inspection
because of it. Mainly the only thing they look for durring emissions
testing are an Air Pump, Catalytic Converter, and Gas Cap. If it
isn't immediately on the identification Labels, then they don't check
for it.

I do like to think of myself as someone who is respectful of the
environment. I don't litter, I recycle my oil, etc. But the extra
hydrocarbons that are emitted as a result of this devices removal are
ONLY durring the inital warmup of the engine. And at that, this
shouldn't be too much of a problem, if any, durring the summer
months. If this is somthing that you are concerned with, then I would
suggest replacing this part for the winter months. And I know that
two wrongs don't make a right. But the amount of extra hydrocarbons
that spat out by the removal of the Air Intake Flap are nothing
compared to whats spewed out by any of the available turbo kits, due
to the lack of cats.

Before anyone takes a defensive stance, please realize that I'm not
knocking the turbo kits, just saying that removal of the intake
components isn't quite as bad as the image may be. When you install a
turbo kit, you will fail a smog check not just because the Cat is
gone, but because the pollution level from the engine is higher.

As far as performance goes, removal of the Flap does indeed help. It
isn't going to let you win drag races, but it does help. Along with
this flap, there is the replacement of the other ignition components.
The only thing original on my system is the Impluse Coil, and the
Ballast Resistors. Even the ECU is new. While my car still needs new
resistors, an Oxygen sensor, and a air/fuel mix tune-up, the engine
runs MUCH better than it did before. I would reccomend that if you
are restoring a DeLorean, that along with cosmetic items to bring it
back, you may also want to consider setting some money aside to
upgrade the ignition components. What I've paid out so far for
everything for the ignition system is at a fraction of the cost I
would have to pay for a turbo kit, or an engine conversion. Rather
than replacement, consider upgrading the existing engine. What you
see as an engine improvement by replacing worn out, 20 year old parts
might just be bringing the car back to factory standards, if not
slightly exceeding them. That could be the main problem behind what
people consider "slow" cars. You'd be surprised just how much power
you get get out of the PRV just by replacements rather than mods...

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"