Re: [DML] Heat Stove Function.

John - the DMC engine has no Mass Air Flow sensor. That is typically
used on Electronic FI engines. Are you talking about the valve that
controls heated intake air? This is an emission control device that,
in your climate may not be particularly necessary, but is considered
part of the car'e emission system for legal/inspection purposes in
some states. It will also make the car run better when it is extremely
cold (sub-freezing) outside.

When you say a "considerable amount of pickup" what do you mean?
Measured how? If you are running 93 octane gas, and adjusting
ignition timing to take advantage of that, it is a separate power
gain from any impact of removing air intake heater. Sounds to me like
you changed several variables at once, which makes it hard to tell
which had what impact. This is another case where some dyno numbers
would be helpful. Having witnessed several dyno sessions on various
DeLoreans, I find it hard to believe that significant, consistent,
measureable HP gains can be had by tweaking. An example of this
comparison is the chart that Bob Brandys created a while ago. See
at http://www.dmcnews.com/Resource/horsepower.html

Dave Swingle