Mystery Electrical Gremlin (Grrrrrrr!)

Driving home Saturday night, my car died about two blocks from home.
Long story short, I did a little roadside trouble shooting, and
discovered that fuse #7 had blown. I replaced the fuse, the car
started, and I continued home. Then as I turned the corner to go into
my driveway, the fuse blew again! Another fuse, and I got my car into
the garage.

As I let the car idle for a few minutes, I noticed that fuse #7
became much warmer than the rest of the fuses in the block. Looking
thru the workshop manual, it states that among other things, fuse #7
provides power to the Control Pressure Regulator. Last week I removed
my CPR to clean it out (poor accelleration problem). When I opened it
up, I noticed that the insulation on the wire inside was burned, and
there was some black soot. I haven't had the chance to drive my car
since, but I am curious if anyone has ever heard of a short in the
heating coil within the CPR. And of course if anyone else knows of
any other places in the circuit to look for a short.

Thanks in advance!

-Robert