Re: [DML] galvanizing D frame?

The next best thing is using POR-15 on the frame (that's what I
used). It's a lot cheaper and you can do it yourself.

I first prepped the sand blasted (bare metal) frame with POR-15's
metal ready. It neutralizes rust and leaves a zinc rich coating on
it. I next painted the frame with the POR-15. I have to tell you that
this stuff is incredible. I applied 3 coats of it. There were a few
small "buckles" on the crumple tubes that I missed before I painted
it. I took a hammer and started banging them out. Now I thought to
myself that if the paint flaked off from all the hammering I would
just repaint it. To my surprise....It did not crack or flake off! I
thought maybe it had pulled away from the metal so I took a small
screw driver and tapped around the hammered area to see if I could
hear any air pockets (where the paint would have pulled
away...nothing!

The POR-15 is very thin...like water...but thickens as it dries so
you can spray it. I have seen some special sprayers on JCWhitneys
site that have a long tube with different tips that can be attached
to it (depending how you want it to spray. It's a sprayer that is
meant for "channels" and hard to reach areas when painting. POR-15
claims that if any part of the paint gets damaged that only the metal
that is exposed will rust...it won't travel under the paint.

My chassis has been painted with this stuff since the winter and it
has been exposed to the elements (car is outside covered) and not one
flake/rust spot yet. It's been real humid here with a lot of rain too.

Steve