[DML] questions (was: convex side mirror update)

[DML] questions (was: convex side mirror update)

In getting ready to make the first ever DeLorean convex side mirror, I took
my OEM side mirror apart to make a good pattern. Now I have some questions:

The backing material (mounting surface) that holds the OEM mirror glass
obviously has been cut down from a larger piece meant for a different
application. Can anyone say what this was from?

Upon removing the mirror glass, there is a single screw in the center of the
mounting pad. I removed it, almost lost the washer that was under it, and
pulled it off. Underneath is a motorized unit held down with three screws.
Since the mounting pad was cut down from a larger mirror, obviously the
motor unit that it attaches to is also from another application. Can anyone
say what it crosses to?

I removed the three mounting screws to the motor unit and removed it. It is
still attached by the wires (no connectors in site to totally separate it
from the car.) I really don't need to disassemble it any further, but can
anyone say how this comes apart?

Since I had the motor unit in my hand, I thought now would be a good time to
clean & lubricate it. There is one black screw in the center which I
removed. This did nothing. The entire motor assembly (plastic clam shell
design) appears to be held together with plastic posts which are melted
through holes. It looks like it is not meant to ever be disassembled.
Comments anyone?

On both OEM mirror glasses, there are stains caused by air bubbles trapped
under the double sided tape. There appears to be no fix for this other than
replacing the mirror glass (which I intend to do anyway -- with convex
ones!) Has anyone else noticed such blemishes in their mirrors?

On both OEM mirrors, the mirror glass has sagged with age (the adhesive
didn't hold well) such that the lower edge of the glass drags on the bottom
of the outer housing making mirror adjustment difficult. My car has low
miles and has obviously never been stored outdoors for any extended length
of time. Despite this, the adhesive didn't hold very well. Has anyone had
similar problems? Maybe a previous owner stored my car in a very hot
garage.

I was able to remove the passenger mirror glass without breaking it. First,
the adhesive on mine didn't hold very well to begin with. Second, the
mounting pad is made of a flexible material (polypropylene?). I could reach
my fingers behind the mirror and flex the mounting pad back to release the
adhesive.

My side mirrors are the earlier style. (FYI, there were two versions of
side mirror housings. Early ones were up to VIN 5929 and the newer version
started with VIN 5930.) Can anyone say what is different about the two
versions?

So far I have found that on my '81, the mirror glasses are symmetrical from
side. I.e. taking the right side off and flipping it over fits over the
left side mirror exactly. Can anyone say if the dimensions of the mirror
glass is the same between the older and newer versions? I have been told
already that the mirror glass is the same and that it is the shape of the
mirror housing that is different. Does anyone agree with this or have a
comment?

The DeLorean mirror glass is the first modern car I have noticed that does
not have any etchings in the mirror's viewable area (model numbers, part
numbers, etc.) Are all DeLorean mirrors this way?

Come hell or high water, I'm going to make convex mirrors to fit the
DeLorean. If cutting them out on a somewhat medium scale is feasible, are
there any vendors out there who want to retail them? And if so, how much do
you think you can sell them for (without price gouging)? And how much would
you expect to buy them for wholesale? I'm in this as a hobby and am not
looking to get rich quick. I would rather sell many at a small profit
rather than a few at a large one. I'm not interested in doing much retail
if any, so if there are any vendors who are interested then speak up.

Walt Tampa, FL