Re: DeLorean quirks (was "Door Ajar" Light)

Re: DeLorean quirks (was "Door Ajar" Light)

***** Please note: everything I'm writing here is MY opinion; *****
***** it is not fact, nor is it meant to attack any one! *****

DMC Joe wrote:

> Most of the electrical devices used in the DeLorean are standard
> to many other cars. Most door adjar warning systems use the same
> "voltage feedback" system used in the DeLorean.

I know that, this is one system that I don't really have any comments on; Its'
just that us DeLorean drivers like to show off our doors without draining the
battery. It's our own fault: we shouldn't be proud of our cars ;-)

> The angle drive is a direct descendant from Jaguar.

I didn't know that, but even then it still is a weird system, why not take the
speedo drive from the gearbox? That way there is a LOT less stretching end
moving involved, so it probably wouldn't break that easily... I was quite
surprised to read that on the early cars the speedocable was another 10 inches
longer: I have the 26" cable, which is just the right length whn you use tha
cable support bracket the right way. If you'd have the 36" cable where would
those extra 10" go??? Flopping around the wheel??? Or was the cable pointed
upward then, so you'd get less movement when turning the wheels left or right???

> The power window system may be custom to the DeLorean mechanically
> but electrically it is similar to most other power window applications.

It is the mechanical part I'm referring to, electrically it's fine, a lot like
the aftermarket system I 've built into my other car myself, only simpler since
both switches are in the center console.
Now that I've seen the inside of my door I understand what's going on in there:
when I roll up the window, I let it go up all the way, then tap down so there's
no unneccesary strain on the tube and gears. It's this strain that made mine fail...

> The main problem with the DeLorean electrical system is not
> the system but weak or poorly designed components.

In my opinion they had to put the car into production too fast, so there wasn't
enough time to test and/or redesign several systems...

> As I'm sure you are aware, most of these week components have
> been improved and or completely redesigned and are readily
> available from most of the DeLoren parts vendors.

Don't understand me wron: I'm NOT complaining! I know of most upgrades and am
pleased to say that my car allready had several installed. I'm making my car
more reliable with everything I'm doing to it, but I'm not going to fix
something that isn't broken (yet), unless it's a safety concern.

And I DO have to say: if it hadn't been for all these little things, and JZD
could have put the DMC-12 into REAL mass production, a lot of us WOULDN'T be
driving one now: It would just be another car, not the exotic car it is now...

But as I said above: thats all my opinion,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

check out the Delorean-Files at: