Re: Re: Air Intake - Flex Tube?

Steve Rubano wrote:

> In the D's application you need a flex tube. The engine moves
> everytime you step on the gas so if the tube dosn't flex it will
> break.
>
> Steve
> > --- In dmcnews@xxxx, Shannon Yocom <ss@xxxx> wrote:
> > > Why not use something smooth like PVC pipe instead
> > of flex tube for the air intake?

I actually did this modification this week!
What I did was buy a piece of "Defroster Piping" inner Ø 70mm,
exactly the same as the original, only longer.
I used a 5cm (2") piece of pipe in the elbow to make the connection.

As you can see at

http://www.vdwouw.demon.nl/airintake.jpg

If you didn't know better you'd think it came this way...
Whether it's an improvement on engine performance? I don't know; I did this
because the pipe from the stove was torn and when I removed the valve to see how
it worked. Seeing that the thermostat and other parts inside restrict the actual
diameter of the hose to about 3/4 of what the rest is made me decide to remove
it as a whole. My car starts fine, either hot or cold and idles at 750rpm unless
I touch the throttle within about two minutes of starting it: then it starts "hunting".
Since it doesn't really get cold over here there is no real need for this valve.

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

check out the Delorean-Files at: