Re: Hard Starting.

I know exactly what you mean! The only part of the car I have not yet
worked on is the heating & A/C. The background on the fuel system is
that every single piece was replaced (or supposed to have been) to
restore the car to running order. MANY things I ran accross were not
changed out or repaired, even though I was told they were. But
everything is brand new on the fuel system from the pump to the
injectors. Inspecting how new every single part looked seemed to
concur with their short age. I don't have an inherintly bad car. It's
incompetent workmanship by past mechanics resulting in failure of
components that were supposed to be 'new' that has made my car turn
into the "DeLorean from Hell." But there is a light a the end of the
tunnel finally that I'll reach soon (problem is that I have to keep
pulling over for gas and repairs!).

Anyhow, I had this starting problem last summer, but brushed it off
on the ignition system not working properly. This has really thrown a
monkey wrench into my plans since I'm now gearing up to perform the
remainder of the 30K mile service on my car and then some. In the
mean time I'll just splice into place a push button switch to
activate the cold start valve from the drivers seat. That way I don't
have to get out of the car to swap plugs. A temporary fix that I'll
connect to the hot start relay (once installed) so I can control the
firing of the cold start valve for only when I need it.

Mechanic's bills do add up pretty quick for any car, which is why I
ended up being my own mechanic for all of my vehicles. Thanks for the
insight as to other areas to inspect as well. I'll run everything by
my mechanic who's both early Volvo, and DeLorean factory certified.
We'll see what we can come up with. Although at this time a pressure
test as well as other diagnostics have not been run. As much as I'd
like to swap out the distributor with another from pick-a-part, I
can't. I've gone to 3 seperate junk yards, and all the 260's & 760's
have already had their disributors removed! I don't know if it's
because of any kind of a failure rate, or just the fact that the part
is so valuable!

But one thing is that I don't understand how the replacement of an
entire distributor could have solved your problem. The distributor
itself is not responsible for any type of fuel pressure retention.
Less of course the Primary Pressure Regulator. If there was a bad seal
(s) in the unit, I could understand how it would have been able to
bleed off pressure 'forwards' thru the system via the return fuel
line. But I also imagine that it could have been replaced by itself
without the entire distributor. If I am wrong, someone please correct
me.

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, SGSKBM@xxxx wrote:
<SNIP>
> I had the exact same problem and I replaced vitually every
component
> in the car at DMC in Garden Grove! The bills were staggering! The
> car would not hold presure after a shut down, and this is important
> for it to do so as to not vapor lock on a restart when hot.
<SNIP>