Re: DeLorean known issues

As is with any DeLorean question be about the Man, the Car, or the
Company, there is no quick and simple answer to be given. Only
insight. Known issues issues with the DeLorean car fall into 2 main
catergories: Inherient, and age related. Inherient would be things
such as factory recalls, known 'quirks', etc... Age related are
things such as water hoses, fuel lines, etc... I don't know if it's
due to certain items having an average life span, or because when one
person mentions a problem others speak up about theirs as well. But
it seems that folks usually have simular problems with specific
components on their cars at the same time wheather it's age or milage
related.

Another aspect are things that were at one time problems, but due to
newer technology have been cured. A couple of years ago when I went
to Harrah's auto museum in Reno, Nevada to see the 24K AMEX D, I
picked up a copy of the DeLorean Gold Portfolio. The book is an
excellent read and is chocked full of both great facts and opinions.
But sadly, it is quite a bit out dated. The book and the articles
contained within were compiled at a time when information was not as
abundant as it is today about the car. One of the articles makes a
mention that the owner loved his car, but never locked the doors
while driving for fear of being locked in because of what was
percieved as a problem with the power door locks sticking. So the man
stated that he never locked his doors because he didn't want to get
stuck inside the car. In the time since, it is now commonly know that
the problem was solenoids getting burned out by sticking relays. Now
we have both a do-it-yourself repair, and replacement component
(lockzilla) to cure the issue. Other problems with the car were
simply confusions with other marquees, or outright misinformation.

I'm guessing that you want the list to see what you should prepare
for repair wise. That in itself is not a question that can easily be
answered since no two cars are alike. Plus chance can play a big part
too. But here is an idea to get you started: The car is almost 20
years old, so things such as rubber seals and hoses will need to be
replaced if not done already (ie: your coolant leak). Your car will
not be a daily driver, so can skip over items such as improved heat
shields, 3-layer radiator, centerforce clutch, semi-metaic brake
pads, etc... Other items such as the angle drive only need regular
servicing and lubrication to operate correctly no matter what you
drive you car for. Compare these items to both your budget and desire
for what you want the car to be. Once you know what you want, you'll
know what path to take in your repairs. For example, you said that
you'll need new locks and a fuel pump boot. What has lead you to that
determination? Even if these items do require replacement of some
sort, you yourself may be able to complete the repair.

Myself, I have the opposite attitude about about my car. I'm trying
to rack up as many miles as I can. People always said I'd never own a
D. Once I got one, they said I've never keep it on the road. For me,
it's a personal thing (I'm determined to prove them wrong!). My first
year of ownership has just passed, and I've already clocked over
12,000 miles onto my DeLorean. By doing this I keep my car in a daily
driver condition. So I have to plan ahead for what will wear out with
not just age, but heavier usage. And when I replace items, I usually
go for those that can survive the long haul. For a car who's purpose
is more for show, you probably don't need certain upgraded and more
expensive parts. Plus you can switch around the priorites for what
needs to be repaired/replaced/upgraded first.

In conclusion, the best person to answer your question is you. Spend
some time with your car and get to know it better. Another thing to
do is monitor the DML. If one person is describing a recent problem
and repair with their car, go over your car. Find out what they are
describing in appearance, function, and symptom. That's the best way
to become familiar with your car, and to get more enjoyment from it!
For what you have described as the car's purpose for your usage, and
it's condition, you are almost at the end. As you said in your
posting, you're "...at the point where...(you)...need to do
something..." Let's first start with diagnosing and repairing that
coolant leak. That is the first step for both you and your car...

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Michael Pike <iqintermedia@xxxx> wrote:
> Is there a list anywhere of the "known" issues that
> goes wrong with Delorean's?
<SNIP>
> It's vin 855, single key lock... I just dont lock my
> doors because it's a gamble if they will come unlocked
> (so I am told).
>
> interior is perfect.... the car physically is pretty
> much perfect.
>
> I'm at a point I need to do something.... I can't
> drive it again because of the tiny cooling leak in the
> front...
<SNIP>