Re: Hard Starting.

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, DMCVegas@xxxx wrote:
> Recently I've been having a problem with hard starting with the D
> when hot. If the engine is cold it will turn over almost
> effortlessly.

I am now an "expert" on this problem. Even John Delorean would call
me if he had the problem as he should also understand that I am the
worlds formost "expert."

I had the exact same problem and I replaced vitually every component
in the car at DMC in Garden Grove! The bills were staggering! The
car would not hold presure after a shut down, and this is important
for it to do so as to not vapor lock on a restart when hot.

First it was the fuel injectors. After $187 in parts and $140 in
labor it still did the exact same thing. It would start when it was
cold and not when it was hot.

We then "replaced" the check valve because the system would still not
hold pressure. After a $69 check valve was installed and $285
dollars of additional diagnostic labor it still did the exact same
thing!

Next we replaced the fuel accumulator which I had replaced 11 months
and 800 miles ago. After $109 and another $140 dollars of diagnostic
labor it still did the exact same thing.

Next we replaced the "o" rings in the fuel distributor and after
several hundred more dollars of labor and parts, it still did the
exact same thing!

Next we put a clamp on the supply side of the fuel line at the
distributor and it still lost pressure. The we put a clamp on the
return line from the distributor and it held presuure.

Somehow, we determined, after some additional labor, that it was the
fuel distributor that was "defective." This was after we invested
some more labor costs to see if the fuel pump was defective.

We changed the fuel distributor and for some reason, which I do not
understand, it now runs fine. It starts both hot and cold, it runs
smoother, (the surging that used to exist on cold starts has improved)
and I am ready to declare personal bankruptcy.

On the serious side of things, try the fuel distributor as all of
the "experts" will tell you that they never go bad and apparently,
they do. In the meantime, pray that it is the accumulator as it is
1/10th the cost of the fuel distributor. I am now an expert and
hopefully, you are too and, maybe, I'll be able to save you some of
the expense that I incurred in the learning process.

Scot
6452