Re: how to loosen fuel distributer screws

Re: how to loosen fuel distributer screws

Steel bolts threaded into aluminum can "freeze" into it so any attempt
to remove will result in either stripped threads or broken bolts.There
are many "tricks" mechanics use short of brute force. Here are a
couple:
Sometimes hitting the head with a hammer can shock the bolt loose.
Sometimes tightening and loosening in small increments will do it.
Sometimes fluids can do it but the trick is to get it to the threads
on a long bolt.
One of the best methods I have tried is to heat the head of the bolt
cherry red and let it cool. Do it several times, let it cool and then
try to remove.
In most cases if the bolt is that stubborn then the best you can hope
for is to strip the threads but at least you don't break the bolt. Be
prepared to rethread with a Heli-coil or similar and worst case drill
out the broken bolt.(It isn't easy, if you are not dead center you
will wind up off center and into the soft aluminum). Since it is the
fuel system we are talking about I don't think heat is an option. When
reinstalling use an anti-seize compound so this doesn't happen again.
David Teitelbaum