Re: [DML] New Delorean Owner here@

Michael,

The fuel senders in the tank have a high failure rate, and is the most likely
cause of your problem. I don't think there is any relation to the previous
owner disconnecting the battery.

The sender is very easy to get to, and replace. You can also take the
opportunity to check the condition of the rubber hoses in the fuel tank.

You can either try and locate or original (working) fuel sender unit and risk it
breaking again, or go with a "Tankzilla" sold by many DeLorean vendors including
PJ Grady (See http://www.pjgrady.com), and DMC Joe (Dont have his URL handy, but
he posts to the DML all the time!).

Although I don't know your mechanical abilities, the replacement procedure is
very low on the scale of difficulty and can be done without getting under the
car. While you could ship the car to one of the well known DMC mechanics, I
think it would be unnecessary for such a small repair. Both PJ Grady and DMC
Joe will help you over the phone if necessary.

Marc

Michael Pike wrote:

<SNIP>
> Now, for my first question :)
>
> With this Delorean having the low mileage that it
> does, it's history is pretty brief, it's driven once a
> month for a few miles to keep the engine lubed up...
> because it was driven once a month, the previous owner
> used to disconnect the battery between drives.
> Because of this, the gas/fuel gauge has "sprung" all
> the way to the top, and no longer functions. (Only
> flaw with the car).

<SNIP>