Re: An end to the shock and spring debacle? (another volley) - and a Pol

Re: An end to the shock and spring debacle? (another volley) - and a Poll...

There's nothing like a good debate on the DML...

snip--->"Dan, my words were "outhandles any car in it's class", and I am referring to the cars the DeLorean was compared against at introduction in 1981. And 'as well as' many modern cars, I did not say it outhandled them, like you said I did."

The DeLorean is a 20 year old design. Let's be realistic. Even with upgraded suspension, it cannot match the handling of modern cars in it's class. The DeLorean outhandle the Audi TT? Not a chance... no matter how many Audi's were rolled. As a matter of fact, I almost purchased a DeLorean years ago that was rolled back in 1982. It sat in a salvage yard for years. I didn't buy it because it was too much money for the amount of damage it sustained. So, DeLoreans aren't immune to rolling either. Like I said previously, the Porsche 944 I owned years ago would run circles around the DeLorean in handling. And I believe I can say this with some authority. Anyone who has driven with me on any car rallies knows my style of driving. Although I don't "abuse" my car, I push it to it's limits. And I have 16"/17" combo wheels on my car with Pirelli p7000 tires on them. I've felt the front end slide... I've felt bodyroll... the rear of the car is just too heavy to outperform the modern cars in it's class today. Again I say, I LOVE my DeLorean, but it is what it is... and no front spring kit, nor all 4 spring kit with any type of shock combination will have such an effect on it that it will rival todays autos in it's class.

snip--->"Geez, in writing? I'm sure that it was documented like this..."Colin thinks the DMC-12 outhandles the Esprit, wants it changed so it's worse. Don't tell JZD." Be realistic. I do solemnly swear that this is the story that was related to us by former engineers involved in the DeLorean project."

You mean to tell me that Lotus, the little company that cuts corners on their earlier cars to save a buck, spent money on making the DeLorean handle worse? I severely doubt that. Also, that the same engineers that designed the Lotus Esprit, accidentally made a heavier, rear-engined DeLorean handle better? Sounds like a tongue-in-cheek comment made by Mr. Chapman to me. :-P

snip--->"Seems like you're trying to smear me with a pretty wide brush, there, Dan. That's not very nice."

I'm not trying to smear anyone with any brush James. I was just stating my opinion as I see it from my point of view. I disagree with your analyses here, and I opened them up to debate. Look at the next statement by you James... Is that not making a "wide brush stroke?" I'm suprised that the moderators allowed such an accusatory, and unfounded statement to pass through to the list. Your quote follows here:

snip--->". It's when people like Steve, Gary, and now, Dan, take it personal and begin to make veiled (and even open) accusations that it denigrates the spirit and intent of the DeLorean Mailing List."

Was that comment not "denigrating?" And who's taking things personal here?

I do believe you were, and still are exaggerating about how well DMC Houstons kit will make a DeLorean perform. I never said DMC Houston's suspension kit wasn't quality. I never once questioned the kit as you did to PJ Grady's. As a matter of fact, I'm sure it's not something of inferior quality! As a matter of fact, I doubt ANY vendor would supply the DeLorean community with a "substandard" part. In such a small community of owners, and now with the internet, that would be business suicide. I just have a problem with you portraying the suspension kit to be something it's not.

Since I have been following your updates on the high performance motor DMC Houston is going to be offering, I take the performance of such important items in the DeLorean, like its suspension and engine, very seriously and like to know exactly how such components perform when modified. Those that know my car, know I am certainly into modifying the DeLorean to perform better in every area possible. As we all know, the DeLorean lacks power. I've looked into many alternatives to the original motor to get more power out of my car, and honestly, DMC Houston's motor is one that is, and has continually been considered as an option by me for my own car. I think it's a valid possible conclusion, since I'm seeking a higher output of power from my car. So, I feel my question was a valid one. I'm sorry you didn't see it that way.

Let's see what the rest of the DeLorean owners think. I have created a poll on the e-groups site. I think we all know that upgraded spring and shock tecnology will improve the DeLoreans handling, so, that's the the question here. The question asks, "Do you think that a Delorean made in 1981, 1982, or 1983, with new upgraded lowering springs and shocks fitted to it, which will increase handling performance, can outhandle an AUDI TT made in the year of 2000, or 2001." Answer yes, or no. Now, I will abstain from this vote since everyone knows how I feel, and I'll ask that only legitimate DML'ers only vote once. Now, I'm taking a chance here since I realize that anyone could get all of their friends to vote their way, or use multiple names they have to sway the vote in their favor, but I'm hoping that this will not happen, and people will be honest so we can find out the true opinion of the people in the DeLorean committee. IT'S ON YOUR HONOR FOLKS! Your identity WILL be revealed in this poll, so if we see a lot of identities that nobody recognizes, or ones that have just signed up all of a sudden, we'll know that there is bias here. I don't want bias either way. I want an honest vote! This is my first poll ever, and I'd like to to be correct. Results will be poted to the DML at the end of voting on January 27th. So, you have two weeks to place your vote. Thank you.

Vote early, vote honest.

---Dan Vin#5493