question about cooling fans

My husband and I noticed that our 81 delorean VIN 07003 which has always run
cool, overheated last nite. The cooling fans would not come on even when we
replaced the coolant (which was empty). Jeff let it run for a while and
noticed no leaks but the fans would not kick on. Could it be the cooling
fan switch? Or could we wire it so the fans come on when the car is started
and just stay on until the car is turned off? If we did that would that be
bad for the engine? Also, the coolant bottle is the old plastic kind not the
new metal one that is for sale......but I don't believe the old bottle is
leaking or we would have seen it drip.

We love the car and want to see it run correctly, so if anyone has any
advice it would be great.....

Oh, one other item, someone keyed our front hood when we had it parked
outside a restaurant and left deep gouges in the metal. Is there anyway to
repair that kind of damage? We are just sick about it, and have talked with
the manager of the restaurant, but now I am more concerned about repair and
installing a car alarm!!

Thanks,

Jeff and Aliza