Re: [DML] question about cooling fans

brownalizat@xxxx wrote:

> My husband and I noticed that our 81 delorean VIN 07003 which has always run
> cool, overheated last nite. The cooling fans would not come on even when we
> replaced the coolant (which was empty). Jeff let it run for a while and
> noticed no leaks but the fans would not kick on.

First, find out what caused the initial overheat. This can be an electrical
problem, the simplest would be if the fan-fail bypass came loose. Look in the
DMC News (below) for its location in the relay compartment. The problem might
also be a bad temp sensor, or a blown fuse.

It is less likely, but still possible, that this was caused by air in the
system. Perhaps you were low on coolant and the fan control sensor was dry.
This happens sometimes. Perhaps when you refilled it with coolant there was
enough air trapped that the sensor is dry now. This also happens sometimes,
although it can be cured by bleeding the system (described in back issues).
Maybe you had both happen to you, but the odds are against it.

I think you should look for an electrical problem, starting at the fan-fail
bypass.

Start by going here:

http://www.dmcnews.com/zine.html

And download the first issue of the DMC News 'Zine. It had instructions and a
diagram for fixing many cooling fan problems.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 7 years