Re: [DML] POR-15 for Frame restoration

Steve,

For all the work you are going to do, I recommend using something better
than paint from a spray can -- especially Rustoleum. I have found that
their paint works well on things like ceiling fans that never get bumped or
scratched; but for me, Rostoleum products do not hold up well on heavy use
items like bicycles, tool boxes, etc. But then maybe they have improved
their paint lately.

Why don't you consider using Automotive paint? Save a paint flake of the
original epoxy and have it color matched. Then you could post the color
formula on the DML so that other people wouldn't have to pay to have the
color matched next time (provided they use the same kind of paint.) Or
better yet, just compare your paint flake to samples they have in their
books. Since you are painting a frame and not a fender, you don't even need
a paint booth. All you need is a spray gun and a dry source of air to run
it. But I suppose that if you had this equipment then you wouldn't be
talking about using spray cans...

But if you must use spray paint, I recommend Krylon over Rostoleum. Maybe
they have a good color match, too. I highly recommend preparing a test
piece of metal to make sure that what ever combination of paint you are
using is compatible. Several times I have mix-matched primers with color
coats and ended up with various problems such as the color coat dissolving
the primer creating a wrinkle finish, or just not sticking to the primer and
flaking off later. Paint from spray cans can be tricky to work with because
they are generally very slow drying. This gives the solvents more time to
react and cause an unfavorable reaction.

You have good reviews about the 'paint', but are you talking about the
COMBINATION of using POR-15 with Rustoleum or did you just hear rave reviews
about the POR-15? Before you mix the two, be sure that they will work
together.

In the end, I suppose that the color coat is just there for looks, so if
don't stick well, then it really doesn't matter. Nah! I does matter!

Walt