[DML] Re: Over-valued?

In a message dated 3/10/00 11:29:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
msubstel@xxxx writes:

<< Anyone who has shopped for a DeLorean has probably
spoken to a few of these investment owners. Some of them know nothing
about the car. They honestly believe that air conditioning, power
windows, and cassette player were optional equipment. They think not
starting the engine in sixteen years preserves it in perfect running
condition. Many of them have never seen another DeLorean or spoken to
another owner, and probably have only a vague idea what their car is
worth. >>

Sounds like the first D I saw for sale. Owned by a doctor. He knew NOTHING
about the car. Started it up for me, which was a miracle... and probably the
worst thing to do for it. He had spent NOTHING on it. Probably never even
changed to oil. Wanted $18,000! Called me back to say he'd take $17,500.
Fortunately, I have the folks on this list as a resource, or I might have
been so smitten at the sight of a real De Lorean, supposedly in pristine,
suspended animation, (not!) that I might have whipped out my checkbook on the
spot. I know now that he should be happy to get $10K or even less. If I'd
offered him $13K, which is what I eventually paid for a car in better shape,
yet still in need of major TLC, he'd probably think I was a thief.

Probably the best thing we can do to help enhance the desirability of our
cars is to put them in car shows. Let people see them. Let people know
they're obtainable, reasonably priced and repairable. It was the sight of
Gary Gore's D at two car shows a few weeks apart that convinced me that I
wanted a D, and could actually go through with it. See, I'm not a teenaged
BTTF influenced wannabe buyer, (not that there's anything wrong with that!)
or an original buyer, or an investor. I'm a middle aged guy who said, "Wow,
that is a cool car. And different. Anybody can get a Corvette. And I can
afford this!" I'm looking forward to putting #11174 in shows. The last car
show I went to, people walked right by the fire breathing testosterone
machines to look at a row of D's, all with their doors up! :) (Including
Gary's, again!)

-Wayne