[DML] Re: Turbo... Why?

Turbos can be more beneficial in the higher rpm range. Since a turbo
uses the exhaust gases from the engine the turbo does not take hp from
the engine to operate.
The supercharger is belt driven, so it does take power from the engine
to operate. In the higher rpm range the supercharger, is compressing
more air and this intern takes more power to do. So in effect since the
engine can only be force to take a certain amount of air, you begin to
lose power compared to the turbo. The Ford Super coupe's super charger
took 65hp to operate, when the engine was operating at 5500rpm. (15lbs
of boost)
At the lower rpm level that is normally used on the streets a
supercharger is far superior, in my opinion, because it provide boost
on demand with no lag time.
Robert Staring
Vin#5252