[DML] Re: The DOA and the DML

A few years back when I was new to the DeLorean community, I looked in
to joining the DOA. For me, I was looking for the technical content
that would have been available to me in the purchase of the back issues
of DeLorean World magazine. Frankly, I did not think it was worth the
money to buy the back issues (I may have been wrong, but who knows.) but
more importantly I did not like what I felt was a conflict of interest
between D1 and the DOA. Even if that conflict did not exist, I dont know
that I would have gotten $65 a year worth of value from the DOA. That
issue has been discussed many times here before, although not recently.

I instead decided to join the local DeLorean club (I think it was $12)
to participate in the activities, and get what technical information I
could. This was a "New Jersey" club that seems to have vanished, and
merged in to the DeLorean Mid Atlantic club which I am now a member of.
Between the DML, and the local club I get all I think I need, and I hope
this does not change.

IMHO, the DML archives are the best place to get the answer to any
question you have (technical or non) about the DeLorean. The ability to
search through huge amounts of data on line for free, and get a number
of opinions and answers to your question beats paying $350 to buy a
bunch of dead trees to take up space in your house, that you have to
thumb through to find the single opinion of the DOA/D1 on the topic.

Mike Substelny wrote:
<SNIP>
> In my new role as a moderator, I sense that the DML is in a similar predicament. The greatest number of complaints we
> get BY FAR are from subscribers who are overwhelmed by the volume of DML postings. Even the digest has become
> burdensome to read (I've tried). The only relief we could offer would be to reject more posts, especially on topics
> that have been repeated many times. Unfortunately, subscribers complaining that we reject too many of their posts
> probably ranks a distant second among complaint classifications.
>
> Both the DML and the DOA constantly walk an editorial tightrope, trying to please as many people as possible without
> tipping over toward either side. For the sake of the DeLorean community, I hope that both groups do a 'good enough'
> job.
<SNIP>